Menopause is the natural decline in reproductive hormones that typically affects women in their 40s and 50s. Symptoms can be unique for each woman, so we will discuss your experience and determine a treatment plan that is right for you. Below you will find information about the stages of menopause and treatments.
Stages of Menopause
The period leading up to menopause is known as perimenopuase and is marked by a decrease of estrogen, which results in changes in your menstrual cycle. You many have longer or shorter periods than normal, or you may begin to skip periods.
Menopause occurs when a woman stops having menstrual periods and marks the end of childbearing years. While symptoms are different for everyone, the most common signs of menopause are:
- Hot flashes – sudden rush of heat to the upper body and face. Hot flashes often cause you to blush and break out in a sweat.
- Sleep problems – including trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. Hot flashes can also disrupt sleep.
- Vaginal changes – decreases in estrogen can cause vaginal dryness and pain during sex.
- Urinary tract changes – you may need to urinate more often and experience more urinary tract infections.
- Bone changes – menopausal women are at greater risk of bone loss (osteoporosis).
- Risk factors – decreases in estrogen can put women at higher risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Mood swings
- General depression
- Foggy brain and poor concentration
- Weight gain and decreased muscle tone
- Low libido
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) uses natural hormones like those found in your body to help control your menopause symptoms and other conditions that women of all ages may experience.
Once your hormone levels are determined, a personalized mixture of hormones is created to target your body’s specific needs in the form of a cream, gel, pellet, or capsule.
BHRT helps restore your body to a normal balance of hormones that will go a long way towards making you feel like a younger, healthier, happier woman again!